WINDSOR recorded their first win in the South West One East this season after a 33-21 victory against Salisbury on Saturday, writes Rob Stevens.

The Home Park-based club had suffered defeat in all their opening five league matches but a home win sees them leapfrog Trowbridge in the table to 12th position.

Tries in the first half from Mike Mills, Luke Budd and Josh Morris gave the hosts a clear lead heading into the break although Jack Gaylor missed with all three conversion attempts.

Salisbury came back at Windsor in the second half, but a second Budd score and a try from Ben Grant-Adamson, plus a conversion and two penalty kicks from Gaylor, ensured a bonus point win for the hosts.

Windsor Chairman of Rugby, Mike Crawshaw, is delighted to have a first win on the board and hailed an important defensive tackle from James Cullen as one of their season-defining moments.

He told the Observer: “We dominated the play in the first half but made hard work of it in the second and let Salisbury back into the game when we could’ve won it more comfortably.

“A big tackle from James, when Salisbury were coming back at us, seemed to energise the side and gave them belief that we were going to win the game.

“We scored a breakaway try in the last minute so in the end the scoreline looked quite comfortable, but more importantly we got the bonus point try for five points and Salisbury got no points at all.

“When you’re playing the sides at the bottom you want to make sure you get the full five points and they get none, which helps because at the end of the season bonus points can be crucial.

“When you look at the games we have lost so far this season we’ve been the odd score away from a bonus point or two.

“If you come away from an away game with two bonus points that’s as good as a draw, and that can be crucial at the end of the season in terms of where we finish in the table.”

He continued: “It was definitely one of the better performances, there’s no question about that at all bearing in mind it was wet and the conditions were poor.

“We played some very entertaining running rugby in the first half and probably 80 per-cent of the pressure was in the Salisbury half. In reality, we should have been further ahead and by half time the game should’ve been done and dusted.

“We suffered an injury in the second half and a couple of things didn’t go our way, plus Salisbury came back at us. It just seemed to disrupt our play but in the end we came back and won the five points. “

Windsor make the trip to seventh-placed Chippenham this Saturday (3pm).