WINDSOR stand-in manager Luke Brooks-Smith is taking the positives after a 2-0 defeat at Binfield in the Hellenic Premier Division on Monday night, writes Rob Stevens.

The Stag Meadow-based club have lost their opening two league matches for the first time in more than eight years when

defeat at Stubb's Lane

followed a 5-0 loss at league debutants Westfields last weekend.

Their preparations have been effected with news that first team manager

Mick Woodham

is currently unable to lead the side, and although Brooks-Smith admits that has not helped he believes improvements in the performances have been made.

Brooks-Smith told the Observer: "It was frustrating but there were a lot of positives from the performance and definitely improvements from the outing on Saturday.

"It's just those small individual errors or lapses in concentration that cost us, but overall the workrate was superb and at times we played some good football.

"Binfield weren't struggling in the last 10-15 minutes but they were being asked some serious questions. We couldn't quite get the first goal which would then potentially allow us to maybe go and nick a draw.

"It could've been quite easy for us to fall apart when we conceded the two goals after letting in five on Saturday. Heads might have dropped but, in terms of spirit, everyone single one of them dug deep.

"They were a couple of players that had to put in more minutes than what they can handle at the moment in terms of fitness levels. We had a few boys out there in the last 10 minutes that haven't played a lot of matches in the last couple of weeks and were having to dig deep, but it shows me that there's a good togetherness within the group."

A first-half goal from Danny Horscroft plus a Asa Povey penalty kick after the break ensured all three points for the home side in midweek.

Windsor got the new campaign under way with a crushing 5-0 defeat at Westfields, who were playing in their inaugural match in the Hellenic League.

Goals from Billy Murphy and Aidan Thomas gave the home team a clear lead heading into the break, before Keanu Cooper, Ben Hayes and Sam Rawlings struck in the second half.

Brooks-Smith commented: "It was a tough one to take. We went with a very young and inexperienced side, the majority of the players were under 19 years of age, and the scoreline was a little bit harsh on us.

"A 3-0 result, although still not great for us, was a more true reflection of where the game was at. The fourth and fifth goals came after we had a player sent off and a penalty given against us, and the legs had gone at that point.

"I would always prefer to get the longer away journeys out of the way at the start of the season when the weather is at its best.

"You can do some initiation songs on the coach and have a good laugh plus try to take some points, which we weren't able to do in the end."

Windsor can now turn their attention to the FA Cup and a visit to Stag Meadow from league rivals Reading City in the extra preliminary round.

Brooks-Smith said: "We've got a couple more boys back for Saturday and as always we're trying to bring in players to strengthen the group.

"I'm not sure what the plan is. I knew Mick was unavailable for Saturday and Monday. He's sorting out some bits and pieces but I'll speak with him and Kevin Stott (Chairman) in the next day or two about what the situation is.

"The chat we had with the players at the end of the game on Monday was all about looking forward to Saturday. We want to take the positives into the FA Cup and just make those small improvements in terms of individual errors that cost us a couple of goals."