WINDSOR had to watch on as Wantage Town were crowned champions of the Hellenic Premier Division after their 1-0 win at Stag Meadow on Easter Monday, writes Rob Stevens.

Wantage needed a single point on the final day of the season to move above Brimscombe & Thrupp at the top of the table.

The Alfredians leading scorer Steve Robertson delivered the win and title when scoring the only goal of the game after 63 minutes.

Windsor manager Mick Woodham believes the result might have been different had his side gone ahead when they were on top, but he was quick to congratulate Wantage on their title success.

Woodham told the Observer: “Congratulations to Wantage, they’ve been there or thereabouts all season and find a way to win more often than not.

“People thought we could’ve got something from the game with the form we’re in and had we scored first things might have been different.

“We should have scored when we were on top in the first half then Wantage would have had to come out and do something.

“Wantage stayed in the game and got a goal, and when they get ahead it’s tough to score against them.

“We could not find a way through and, despite their keeper also having a good game, it’s our fault that we couldn’t score.”

He added: “The performance was good and pleasing and a massive improvement from Good Friday. There was more energy and the application was good.

“I’ve no excuses about Monday. The performance was good but it wasn’t our day.

“It would’ve been a better performance if we had scored when we were on top, but Wantage are champions because they stay in a game and, when they score, it becomes difficult to score against them.”

Windsor saw their six match winning streak in the league come to an end after a 2-0 defeat at Lydney Town on Good Friday.

The game at the Lydney Recreation Ground was the second in a three-match ground hopper schedule and 337 spectators saw the home team secure all three points.

The deadlock was broken when Lewis Thompson scored from the penalty spot on the hour mark, before Lewis Halford bagged the second goal two minutes from time.

Woodham commented:”We were a little flat on the day and the game was going nowhere. We struggled to get into a rhythm, and so did they to be honest, on a flat afternoon and a hot day.

“We gave away a penalty on the hour and then conceded another on, which was a little disappointing for us, but on any other day with get an away point.

“We were on such a good run of form that people expected us to win but Lydney are a tough team to play against.

“The performance was okay but we wouldn’t have scored even if we were still there now. We missed chances and got a little sloppy so all in all we can have no complaints.”

Windsor now turn their attention to the Hellenic Challenge Cup final against rivals Ascot United at Ardley United on Monday 6th May (3pm).