DAN Roberts maintained his rich vein of form by bagging a brace to earn Windsor a 2-0 win at Binfield on Saturday, taking his Hellenic League Premier Division tally past the 30-goal mark for the season, writes Dave Wright.

The visitors had the better of the early exchanges against a side still seeking their first league win since the turn of the year, and it was no surprise when they took the lead after 21 minutes.

They caught out Binfield with a swift counter-attack which left Roberts in the clear.

As he rounded keeper David Lyons, it looked as if he had taken the ball too wide, but the in-form striker somehow managed to squeeze his shot between the goalie and the near post, the ball going in off the upright. It was another quality goal from the youngster.

While restricting their hosts to very few scoring chances, Windsor looked the more dangerous side, particularly down their left flank with Kieran Knight prominent on his 100th appearance for the club.

They had a great chance to double their lead on the stroke of half-time, but Barry Hayles' goalbound shot was cleared off the line by Liam Gavin.

Binfield made an encouraging start to the second half and they enjoyed their best spell of the match as they continued to hunt for the equaliser, but those hopes disappeared on 70 minutes when they were caught out at the back by a long clearance from Windsor. Roberts slotted home his second goal of the game.

In-form Roberts had also scored when the same two sides drew 1-1 at Stag Meadow two weeks earlier and he was yet again on target when the clubs met for a third time last Tuesday, this time in the quarter-finals of the Perpetua Press Floodlit Cup.

This time, however, it was no more than a consolation with Mick Woodham's men crashing to a shock 4-1 defeat.

Windsor were unable to produce the same intensity as they had displayed on Saturday, while the Moles showed a dramatic improvement, with their attack being boosted by Sean Moore, who is on dual registration forms with Bostik League South Central Division high-fliers Bracknell Town.

The hosts also looked jittery in defence and it turned out to be a night skipper and keeper Hugo Sobte will want to forget in a hurry,

He had a couple of close escapes before being beaten for the first time, with a long cross from the Binfield left being superbly headed home by Ian Davies in the 38th minute.

It was a lead the visitors deserved and it would have been more but for a fine save from Sobte to deny Davies.

Windsor made a promising start to the second half and it took them seven minutes to equalise through Roberts. But a minute later they were behind again, with the unmarked Carlo Santoro heading past the stranded Sobte.

Roberts looked set to restore parity again, but as he as about to pull the trigger he saw the ball whipped away by a timely challenge from Gavin.

Windsor, however, were having to defend more and at times they did not help themselves by failing to clear their lines, handing chances to the team in bright yellow.

And the stuttering Stags were made to pay, as Davies lobbed Sobte to make it 3-1 in the 69th minute. He completed his hat-trick just before the final whistle.

Manager Mick Woodham will be hoping his side can return to winning form when they host Ardley United tomorrow (Saturday) and Flackwell Heath on Monday (7.45pm).