BERKS & Bucks Under 18s are through to the quarter-finals of the FA County Youth Cup following a 7-2 hammering of Cumberland at Arbour Park in Slough on Sunday, writes Dave Wright.

They could easily have won even more comfortably.

Their talented young team were in command for much of this third round tie and, if they had shown a bit more composure in front of goal, they would have won by an even wider margin.

They found themselves trailing 2-1 midway through the first half.

It was totally against the run of play when they conceded the opening goal in the 18th minute with Brendon Box-Gill lobbing keeper Sonny Wheeler.

Two minutes later, Berks & Bucks were awarded a penalty for a foul on Robbie Veasey, but Bradley Farren's weak spot-kick was easily saved by keeper David Ousby.

A mad five minute spell for the hosts then saw them fall further behind, with Robbie Cowley's deep right-wing cross being superbly struck home by Henry Walker.

Defensively, Berks & Bucks were looking a little jittery, but it was a totally different story going forwards.

Right-back Ben Mulley headed home a right-wing corner at the far post to halve the deficit in the 28th minute.

Despite further pressure, the lads in orange were unable to squeeze out another goal before half-time.

It all changed in the second half however, when there was no stopping them.

Within two minutes of the resumption, Farren brought the scores level from a chance set up by James Richardson, who then put his side ahead just before the hour mark.

It was a memorable weekend for Richardson, as on Saturday he scored the winner for England Schools U18s when they defeated the RAF U23 development squad 2-1 at Cosford Stadium.

It got even better for Ascot United's rising star in the 72nd minute as he netted a second for Berks & Bucks, making it 5-2 after Farren had also scored again.

The final two goals both came from substitutes, Harrison Cliff in the 84th and Connor Holland three minutes later.

It all added up to unhappy return to his hometown of Slough for Cumberland assistant manager Dene White, the former Eton Wick player.

Berks & Bucks will be away to Manchester in the quarter-finals on a date to be confirmed.

If it is Sunday 27th January, it could be another busy time for Aylesbury schoolboy Richardson as that weekend England U18s are also back in action against visitors Australia.

Reflecting on the game, team manager Aaron Steadman said: "We had a lot of quality but in the first half we were not ruthless enough in front of goal.

"The two goals we conceded were a bit of a concern as we are usually better organised in defence than that.

"At half-time, we didn't need to scream and shout at the boys as we knew we were on top. It was just a case of regrouping.

"The boys were able to relax as they knew their quality would win the game.

"They showed good character to come back from 2-0 down and that was another positive.

"We're now looking forward to going up to Manchester, that will be another big test for us."