WINDSOR have reached the last-32 in the FA Vase for the second successive season after a 2-1 win at Erith Town on Saturday, writes Rob Stevens.

Windsor won at Erith in round two of the national competition last season, but manager Mick Woodham admitted his side needed to improve in certain areas to once again beat their hosts from the Southern Counties East League Premier Division.

Erith made a bright start with right winger Steadman Callender having the best of the clear chances early on, but it was Windsor that broke the deadlock through all-time leading scorer Robert Lazarczuk on 35 minutes.

Andrew Ingram was picked out on the right wing with a long pass forward and the striker maintained possession before finding Lazarczuk, who took a touch before firing low past keeper Adam Molloy from a central possession on the edge of the box.

Windsor doubled their advantage on the hour mark as substitute Matthew Stockill picked out Daniel Roberts with a smart pass and the forward burst into the box before unleashing a powerful left-foot shot beyond Molloy at his near post and into the top corner.

To their credit, Erith did not let their heads dropped and pulled a goal back through Callender in the 64th minute. The visitors failed to clear their lines and, despite keeper Hugo Sobte making a save at his near post, the Erith winger was able to turn the ball home inside the six-yard box.

The home side threw everything at Windsor in the final 15 minutes but the visitors, marshalled by Joe Crook and Luke Appleton in central defence, stood firm and could have added to their own tally late on with George Gould going close.

Erith’s frustrations showed in the fifth minute of time added on when captain Jack Hooper was shown a straight red card for a knee-high tackle on Roberts just outside the home penalty box.

Windsor manager Mick Woodham told the Observer: “When I calm down tomorrow (Sunday) I will probably have the same reaction, I think we deserved it.

“For an away performance in the first 45 minutes, I thought we were outstanding. We took the game to them and our shape and gameplan worked absolutely fantastic.

“The boys stuck to it and we got a decent goal although there wasn’t many chances available in the first-half for either side.

“Their set-pieces were a danger but I thought the boys managed that really well throughout the 90 minutes.

“The warning heading into the second-half was Erith would change a few things around and improve, and they did. They went very direct with the free-kicks and throw-ins straight into the box.

“When they pulled a goal back you are mindful of what can happen, all our hard work might be undone, but I thought we could’ve nicked a couple of goals to be fair.

“Generally I’ve no complaints or criticism, I’m just proud of the boys and thought they were fantastic from start to finish.”

Grab a copy of the Observer on Friday for the match report, pictures and all the reaction.