MAIDENHEAD’S winless run in the National League stretched to six matches following a 2-0 defeat at joint-leaders Wrexham.

Alan Devonshire’s side put up a brave fight at the Racecourse Ground, but were beaten by a goal in each half having seen Ryan Upward sent off on the hour mark.

It means the Magpies have won just one league game since the end of September which came in a 3-2 midweek success at Bromley on October 24.

Since then they have drawn four and lost two of their six matches and they were also knocked out of the FA Cup by League Two Coventry City.

It leaves Maidenhead 14th in the National League table and in increasing need of a victory.

Saturday’s result at Wrexham could have been different had Devonshire’s men taken their early chances.

The visitors had seen Christian Smith and Remy Clerima force decent saves out of Dragons keeper Chris Dunn in the first 15 minutes, while a Harry Pritchard effort deflected inches wide.

And when Maidenhead fell behind in the 18th minute it was down to a slice of bad luck.

Smith’s pass hit referee Marc Edwards and dropped nicely for Paul Rutherford to set up Chris Holroyd for the opener.

Magpies almost equalised when Jake Hyde cut out a weak James Jennings back-pass but fired wide with only Dunn to beat. Yet the visitors were grateful for a superb Carl Pentney save before the break to prevent Wrexham from grabbing a second.

Further chances for Harold Odametey and Hyde came for Maidenhead after the interval, but their hopes of a comeback were dealt a blow on the hour when Upward was shown a straight red card for an off-the-ball incident, a decision that left the defender visibly upset.

It also took the wind out of Maidenhead’s sails and Wrexham took advantage by doubling their lead in the 75th minute with a clinical finish from Jennings.

The closest Magpies came to pulling one back was a Max Kilman effort into the side netting 10 minutes from time.

The defeat was Maidenhead’s first in four matches and they will be eager to return to winning ways this Saturday when they host 10th-placed Maidstone United at York Road (3pm ko) before Tuesday’s home clash against Chesham United in the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup second round (7.45pm).

Wrexham: Dunn, Jennings, Smith, Pearson, Mackreth (Hurst, 83), Wedgbury (Carrington, 78), Holroyd (Massanka, 85), Rutherford, Kelly, Roberts, Boden. Subs not used: Dibble, Wright.

Maidenhead: Pentney, Clerima, Steer, Odametey, Massey ©, Hyde (Marks, 70), Pritchard (Kilman, 76), Clifton (Emmanuel, 81), Upward, Peters, Smith. Subs not used: Owusu, Hammond.

Attendance: 3,968 (48 away).