MAIDENHEAD United are out of the FA Cup this season after a 2-0 defeat away at Coventry City on Sunday.

Two goals in the first-half from Jordan Ponticelli ended any chance of a first round giant-killing at the Ricoh Arena.

Maidenhead manager Alan Devonshire told the Observer: "I thought it was quite an even game but Coventry took their chances and we didn't, that is the difference, but we will move on and go from there.

"There was nothing different to what we normally do preparation-wise, the only difference was playing on a Sunday.

"I just felt that we lacked a little bit of quality and, at the end of the day, they have taken their chances and we have not.

"We will not focus on the league because or next game is the most important one."

National League club Maidenhead, who brought 716 supporters with them, made a bright start when Harry Pritchard forced Lee Burge into a save with a shot on target, before England C international Sam Barratt almost lobbed the keeper from 40-yards.

Coventry broke the deadlock when Ponticelli, making his full home debut for the Football League club, applied the finish to a counter-attacking move which started inside the City half.

Full-back Jack Grimmer carried the ball down the right wing and crossed for Ponticelli who beat United keeper Carl Pentney with a first-time right-foot finish.

Man-of-the-match Ponticelli got his and Coventry's second goal two minutes from the half-time interval but not without some good fortune.

Jodi Jones broke down the left flank but, just as he was about to be dispossessed by Jake Goodman, the Maidenhead defender slipped allowing the ball to be crossed to Ponticelli who clipped in from inside six-yards.

There was a moment of controversy at the end of the first period as United captain Alan Massey went down holding his face following a collision with Peter Vincenti.

The City midfielder appeared to flick Massey in the face but was only shown a yellow card by referee Scott Duncan.

Maidenhead continued to be competitive after the break with substitute Jake Hyde making an impact from the bench, twice heading on target from crosses to the back post.

He also had appeals for a penalty turned down by referee Duncan despite appearing to be pulled back inside the box.

The visitors' best chance arrived when Adrian Clifton was set free thanks to a left-wing pass but shot high and wide from just inside the box.

Coventry thought they had added a third goal inside the last five minutes when Marc McNulty tapped in a right wing cross, but was denied for a flag for offside.

Coventry manager Mark Robbins said: "As we saw on Saturday, the FA Cup is full of banana skins and potential upsets. There was quite a lot of media here today and that might be something to do with the face that there could have been an upset.

"Maidenhead are a decent side with some honest lads. They have got some power."

Maidenhead return to action in the National League when Gateshead are the visitors to York Road this Saturday (3pm).

Grab a copy of the Observer this Friday for match photos and more reaction.

Check out the Observer sports Facebook page. Search: Robert Observer Sport and like, follow and share today.