MAIDENHEAD United remain in the FA Cup this season after a last-gasp 1-1 draw away at League One Port Vale on Saturday.

Manager Alan Devonshire has declared his pride for the team and believes they got what they deserved from the first round tie.

He told the Observer: "We needed all our players to be on top form, but it was just the character of the side, we kept on going.

"We're a part-time team but we were finishing the game stronger in the last 15 minutes.

"I thought they were on the ropes a bit, trying to keep the ball in the corner, and we got what we fully deserved in the end.

"I'm just so proud of them, they're absolutely fantastic, every one of them. I'm totally delighted, so pleased for them.

"They've shown what they can do with the hard work they put in, and we deserved a goal right at the end.

"We worked our nuts off and sometimes you don't get what you deserve, but I felt we got that today [Saturday]."

Just under 400 Maidenhead fans made the journey to Vale Park, and it would be a day cherished by supporters and players alike.

Port Vale, who sit 62 places and three leagues above their visitors, broke the deadlock on the half-hour mark.

Louis Dodd picked out Byron Moore with a through ball, and he found himself onside to slot underneath keeper Carl Pentney.

Despite being the underdogs, Maidenhead always caused a threat and they almost drew level just before half-time.

Ryan Upward met a cross with his head, but his effort struck the post and a follow-up shot from Jake Reid was cleared off the line.

Just after half-time, Ben Wright put the ball into the back off the net but the linesman had flagged for offside.

Vale were unlucky not to add a second goal as Sam Foley picked up a loose ball but his curling effort grazed the top of the bar.

The turning point in a game full of chances came in the third minute of time added on.

Dave Tarpey had a shot saved by Jak Alnwick only for substitute James Mulley to fire the ball into the net, sending the away crowd into ruptures

The first round replay will be at York Road on Tuesday, November 17 (7.45pm).

SEE Friday's Observer for full match report, pictures and more reaction.