A LAST minute penalty save from Elvijs Putnins secured Maidenhead United a 1-1 draw away at Farnborough on Saturday.

The Magpies were starring down the barrel at a fourth consecutive league defeat when Putnins guessed right to deny Louis Theophanous.

Farnborough took the lead on eight minutes after some neat interplay on the left resulted with a Michael Richens shot rattling the crossbar.

Ryan Upward miss-placed his clearance and Dan Bennett got in front of Simon Downer at the near post to head in a Theophanous cross.

Maidenhead saw appeals for a penalty turned down midway through the first-half when Ashley Nicholls went down following contact from a defender.

The visitors levelled the scores in the 25th minute after an exchange of passes between Reece Tison-Lascaris and DJ Campbell.

Former Birmingham City and Blackpool striker Campbell scored with an unstoppable shot from the edge of the penalty area.

Campbell could have doubled his tally for the match early in the second period when his effort was cleared off the line by Lloyd Foot.

Farnborough made a breakthrough in the final minute of normal time as Theophanous went to ground under pressure from Leon Solomon.

However, Theophanous could not get enough power and direction into his penalty to beat Putnins, who dived to his right and held onto the ball.

The point sees Maidenhead drop one place to 16th position in the Conference South table ahead of the Christmas period.

The Magpies host Hayes & Yeading United on Boxing Day (3pm) and are ‘away’ to their York Road tenants on New Years Day (3pm).

In between, Maidenhead make the trip to Eastbourne Borough on December 28 (3pm) looking to improve upon a 0-0 draw back in August.

Burnham FC are now seven matches without a league win after a 1-0 defeat against Cirencester Town on Saturday.

After a goalless first-half at The Gore, Cirencester thought they had broken the deadlock through Josh Parsons on 53 minutes.

Parsons collected a Ellis Dunton header and tucked the ball inside the right post, but the assistant referee flagged for offside.

The visitors eventually took the lead in the 65th minute after Parsons was scythed down inside the box.

The Cirencester striker picked himself up and calmly tucked the spot-kick inside the right post of the Burnham goal.

Blues’ joint-boss Gareth Risbriger has already admitted that his team have work to do before the can start to climb the table.

The defeat leaves Burnham second from bottom in the Southern Premier Division ahead of four matches in the next two weeks.

The Blues travel to Banbury United on Tuesday (7.45pm ko) before a visit to Hungerford Town on Boxing Day (3pm).

Burnham return to The Gore for the visit of Chesham United on New Years Day (3pm) and travel to rivals Slough Town on January 3.

Nine-man Holyport FC extended their unbeaten run to five matches with a 2-1 win against Milton United on Saturday.

Port suffered a blow in the first-half at Summerleaze when star striker Jamie West was shown a straight red card.

West was dismissed after an incident involving Milton’s Mikey Mckirnan, who was left with a bleeding nose.

The home side took the lead early in the second-half as Jerrell Gumbs found the top corner from a tight angle.

Holyport were reduced to nine men after Tom Kaill was twice cautioned for dissent inside 60 seconds on the hour.

Port capitalised on a poor clearance to extend there advantage through Alex Duffy before Milton pulled one back.

Tom Austin cut in from the left and found the bottom corner, but his side could not complete a dramatic comeback.

The win sees Holyport move up into 10th position in the Hellenic Premier Division ahead of back-to-back away matches.

Port travel to Flackwell Heath this Saturday (3pm) and then visit Binfield on January 3.

**PICK up a copy of the Observer, out Christmas Eve (Wednesday), for all the latest sports news and action including our complete football round-up** **FOLLOW all the action over Christmas and New Year on Twitter at @Observer_sports**