ASCOT United were knocked out of the Bluefin Insurance Challenge Cup in extra-time in an incident-packed match against Cricklade Town.

The Yellamen had manager Jeff Lamb and three other players sent off in the 4-2 defeat.

The scores were locked at 2-2 after normal time with Ian Brooks' 82nd minute equaliser taking the game into extra-time when Cricklade scored twice more.

Lamb's men were clearly hampered by the multiple dismissals of Jon Bennett, Liam Woozley and then Rob Saunders in extra-time, and coupled with refereeing decisions that went against them in extra-time, Cricklade came away with the victory.

Cricklade started the game well and almost went ahead after two minutes but for Chris Bowles tipping Ryan Thomas' effort round the post.

Ascot remained on the backfoot and just after clearing an effort off the line, finally conceded on 33 minutes through Cricklade's Jack Allan.

They had Bowles to thank for keeping the deficit to one goal after he tipped over a shot by Ben Carter in the dying minutes of the half.

The second half was a different story though, as Ascot worked hard and pulled a goal back on 50 minutes when Saunders reacted to a loose ball in the box and rifled it home.

But then things started to unravel for the Premier Division side as Bennett received a straight red for a high tackle.

Chances continued to be created on both sides with Brooks having an effort saved and Cricklade striking the underside of the bar.

Ascot went down to nine men with just under 20 minutes remaining when Woozley received his second yellow card in conceding a penalty, which Ryan Thomas converted.

The Yellamen continued to battle though and got back into the game on 82 minutes, as a deflected shot found its way to the unmarked Brooks to make it 2-2.

Three minutes into extra-time however, the momentum swung in Cricklade's favour under controversial circumstances.

Saunders was brought down for what looked a certain penalty but the referee did not give it and Cricklade went up the other end and scored. From the disputes regarding the penalty, Saunders and the Ascot manager Lamb, took the red card count to four.

With only eight men Ascot, to their credit, worked hard and almost equalised again, but Jack Smillie's effort was cleared off the line. However, the pressure of playing three men short finally told and Ascot conceded a fourth to the unmarked Allan for a tap in.

The Yellamen turn their attentions back to the league this weekend when they travel to Kidlington on Saturday (3pm ko).