A married nursery worker who had sex with a 13-year-old schoolboy and had his baby, showed a total lack of remorse, a judge who jailed her for 30 months said on Monday.

Leah Cordice had been out drinking for an evening before she had gone into the boy victim's room where he was playing on his Xbox. There she seduced him, the judge was told.

The 20-year-old woman who had been studying childcare while working at a local nursery, had denied the sexual activity, claiming instead that she had been raped by the young boy.

Cordice was convicted by a jury of having sex with the child on at least five occasions and appeared in Reading Crown Court for sentencing on Monday afternoon (May 18).

Judge Peter Clarke QC said: "Cordice asserted that the truth was that she had been raped by the victim on multiple occasions.

"It has understandably been urged on the court that psychiatric examination has found Cordice to be of borderline intellectual ability with an IQ of 70 to 85. I had and have difficulty with that assessment.

"Cordice gave evidence. She was clear in chief and she was combative and agile in cross-examination. At one stage I had no alternative but to warn her that she was doing herself a disservice in her interaction with prosecution counsel. Suffice it to say she showed no remorse for the events.

"Indeed I heard no indication from either Cordice or the victim that she held him in any particular affection, the evidence from at least one witness was of physical obsession and self-indulgence as opposed to emotional attachment."

In a victim impact statement, the boy said he had been diagnosed with separation anxiety by a psychologist, which was a result of him having his child taken away by social services.

The boy told the court: "I cannot see my child and have not had any involvement with her recently. Seeing my daughter and then having her taken out of my life was very hard to cope with.

"It feels like I was punished for what I have been through. I hope in the future I can move on from this and have a relationship with my daughter.

"Social media has just exploded with comments and posts about Leah. I do feel sorry for Leah with all this press coverage. I do not feel anger towards her anymore. If anything, I worry about her. If she does go to prison for what she has done, I hope it is not for a long time. I hope Leah has involvement in her daughter's life."

In a separate victim impact statement, the boy's mother said: "He was so young to become a father, but when he started having contact with his daughter it went very well. He has not done anything wrong but she has also been taken away from him."

During the trial, the court heard the boy's police interview, where he told how the abuse began when Leah started to hug him and kiss him.

Jurors had been told how Cordice had groomed the boy by sending him complimentary texts calling him "cute" and giving him money for fish and chips.

Defending Cordice, Tara McCarthy revealed that the defendant still stuck by her assertion that she had not done anything wrong.

The lawyer said: "This is a desperately sad case all around. There are absolutely no winners. The age gap between the victim and Ms Cordice is relatively limited.

"She is a very immature person, she is still and she certainly was then and it makes the situation difficult. She does accept this has had a significant impact on the victim. It is a situation that nobody really wants to be faced with.

"She had a relationship with him. She was also in a relationship with somebody else. Over-zealous outer family members made a union between Ms Cordice and her then-partner and, for a short while, husband. It led to the most awful situation happening and her being stuck and probably to some extent not facing reality."

The lawyer pointed out that Cordice had been the subject of extensive press coverage and reaction on social media, where people had created false accounts about her, which had increased when her former husband, Daniel Robbins, gave a press interview about her, which Ms McCarthy added "was very difficult for her. She has, to some extent, been punished by that."

In March 2017, the boy she had sex with had been interviewed by police after one of Cordice's friends sent an email to the nursery where she was working to try to blow the whistle on the affair, the judge heard.

Cordice had blasted the allegation as malicious and the friend was issued with a harassment warning and a penalty notice for wasting police time, the court heard.

After the boy victim’s mother later complained to the police, Cordice had been arrested at her home on July 9, 2018, and she was later interviewed under caution.

She had provided a prepared statement, denying any sexual contact with the boy, and adding: "He has always had a crush on me and would always make inappropriate remarks and do inappropriate things such as grab me and annoy me.”

She denied that the victim was the father of her child but was forced to take a DNA test which showed, with a probability of 14 million times more likely than not, that the 13-year-old boy was the father.

Cordice had been living with her husband Mr Robbins, an apprentice mechanic who had believed he was the father and had been bringing up the little girl as if she was his own daughter.

Mr Robbins, 21, who had since separated from Cordice, said: “There was an argument straight after the DNA test. I was bawling my eyes out. Honestly, if you want to talk about being traumatised, that traumatised me.

“I had a secure job, I had a nice place, I had a good relationship. I had an amazing life. Everything was going so well and all of a sudden everything got taken away from me: my child, my wife, home, job.

“I have trust issues now. I am worried about my relationships in the future. Next time I have a child with another person, I am going to have to say, ‘can I have a DNA test please’."

Cordice’s daughter had been adopted following Family Court proceedings and Mr Robbins had not been able to see her again but he said he entrusted a letter to social services addressed to the girl.

Cordice, who has since dyed her hair red, faced a two-week trial at Reading Crown Court, following which a jury convicted her of one multiple-incident count of sexual activity with a child which took place when she was 17-years-old.

After the conviction, the judge told the jury they did not need to return verdicts on two other counts which took place during the same time period, because the first count was “compendious” enough to incorporate them. The jury then acquitted Cordice on two further counts of the same charge which reflected times when she was aged 18.

For the one multiple-incident count, Judge Clarke sentenced Cordice to 30 months detention in a Young Offenders' Institution and said she would be subject to a Sexual Harm Prevention Order for 10 years and would have to sign into the Sex Offenders Register.