A man has been convicted of causing serious injury by dangerous driving after a policeman was so badly injured he had to have his leg amputated.

Hayden Brown, 25, of Suffolk Road, Maidenhead, was found guilty by a jury at Reading Crown Court on Friday following a five day trial to three counts of causing serious injury by dangerous driving. He had pleaded guilty to two counts of driving over the legal alcohol limit and without insurance.

The conviction follows a road traffic collision which happened on September 2, 2018 on Norden Road, Maidenhead.

At around 5.30am two Thames Valley Police officers PC Tom Dorman and PC Norman Lam carried out a routine stop check on a vehicle.

Both officers were out of their own car when a silver Ford Focus, driven by Brown at excessive speed spun of control along Norden Road. The car collided with both the officers first, causing them to be pushed against the car they had been checking. This car was then struck along with the police car.

PC Dorman was so badly hurt his leg had to be amputated. He also suffered a depressed skull fracture through his sinus. He continues to receive medical treatment but has resumed his career and is now an Acting Sergeant.

PC Lam sustained several puncture wounds and severe bruising to his legs, fractured ribs, a dislocated shoulder as well as contusions to his arms. He is undergoing treatment for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

A 19-year-old woman who was a passenger in the car that Brown was driving suffered 24 broken bones and internal injuries which required several operations.

Brown fled the scene of the collision but was arrested on the same day. A breathalyser test revealed nearly twice the legal limit for alcohol in his system.

He was charged on February 28 and will be sentenced on December 9.

Inspector Andy Storey of the Joint Operations Roads Policing Unit, said: “Brown was driving at excessive speed under the influence of alcohol.

“His reckless actions of getting behind the wheel while under the influence, driving at speed and ultimately losing complete control of the vehicle had a devastating impact on three people and it is extremely lucky that no-one died."