A kebab shop owner and manager who could have killed a teenager who suffered a severe allergic reaction from eating peri peri chicken and chips have been given suspended prison sentences.

A family ordered the chicken meal and told the servers at Saqi Grill and Catering Limited in Chalvey Road West about the life-threatening allergies to dairy and eggs.

They were assured there were no allergens in the meal but the teenager went into anaphylactic shock soon after eating and had to be rushed to hospital by ambulance.

He recovered after spending time in hospital and his survival was attributed to his family’s speedy application of an epi-pen which he had been prescribed in case of an allergic reaction.

It was subsequently discovered the chicken in his meal had been marinated in yoghurt before being cooked at the take away shop.

Slough trading standards pursued a prosecution against the company, its director Akbar Ali, 43, of Thornholme Close, Leicester and the shop manager Abdul Rauf, 42, of Ragstone Road, Slough.

Judge Kirsty Real, sitting at Reading Crown Court, gave each defendant an 18 week prison sentence suspended for 18 months, ordered each to a complete 120 hours of unpaid community work and pay £400 costs. The company was fined £12,000 and ordered to pay £4000 costs.

Both defendants and the company admitted a total of three counts of selling unsafe food containing allergens on March 15, October 29 and November 16, 2018 and a single charge, on March 15 of incorrectly describing doner kebab meat as lamb when it also contained beef and chicken.

Test purchases on March 15 2018 and November 16 2018 showed that despite declaring soya and diary as allergies, two undercover officers were subsequently served food with the allergens, which were detected after laboratory testing. The customer purchase on October 29, 2018, resulted in the teenager's hospitalisation.

Dean Cooke, a senior trading standards officer at the council, said: “This is a matter of life and death for some customers.

“Any food business must be able to tell customers what ingredients and particularly allergenic ingredients, are present in the food that they sell."