Firefighters are warning people to take care in the kitchen after being called out twice last night to kitchen blazes.

The first call at 5.40pm was to Cheviot Road, Slough.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used an extinguisher to put out the fire. Crews were at the scene for around one hour and 10 minutes and treated one woman for smoke inhalation, before South Central Ambulance Service took over.

Firefighter Benjamin Martin-Stone, who was off-duty at the time spotted smoke from down the road. He said: “I heard a smoke alarm going off and saw smoke coming out of all the windows of the property.

“I ran down to the flat where I met a lady outside who said her kitchen is on fire. I went inside the property to make sure everyone had evacuated and I could see the fire had started by a chip pan in the oven. By this time the fire service hadn’t been called so I reported it.”

“In the event of a fire, make sure that you get everyone out of the property and call the emergency services as soon as possible. It is important that you don’t try and tackle the fire yourself and don’t put water on a fire started by oil.”

The second call was received at 7.30pm to reports of a fire in Upton Court Road in Slough.

Crews from Slough and Langley Fire Stations were sent to the scene and again two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to extinguish the flames. A man was treated for smoke inhalation before being placed into the care of the SCAS. Crews were on the scene for around 50 minutes.

Mike Humphries, Station Manager Learning and Development, who attended both of the incidents, said: “When you’re in the kitchen make sure you don’t get distracted and leave cooking unattended. We always urge our residents to keep your oven, hob and grill clean to prevent a build up of grease and oil.”

“Often cooking fire safety can be underestimated, but these two incidents provide a timely reminder of the importance of staying safe when preparing meals for you and your loved ones.”

For more information visit the RBFRS website.