PLANS for a new ride at Legoland were refused as it has reached its 'threshold’.

The application for a haunted house with a drop-ride was unanimously rejected by Windsor Urban Development Control Panel on Wednesday, after being deferred at an earlier meeting.

The reasons given were highway safety and the excess of planning activity by the Winkfield Road theme park.

Cllr Simon Meadowcroft, who chaired the meeting in the absence of Cllr Eileen Quick, said: “The attraction might not have a huge impact on traffic, but sometimes a threshold is reached when we must say we will not allow another application.” Cllr Meadowcroft said not enough had been done by Legoland to mitigate the congestion problem, such as making an alternative exit route, or by making the park and ride more financially attractive to families.

Councillors were also unsatisfied with the evidence from the traffic trials and wanted a clearer plan for Legoland’s intended growth.

After the meeting, Sue Kemp, divisional director of Legoland, told the Observer she was 'hugely disappointed’, but not surprised by the decision. Legoland will now consider whether to re-apply.