MICK Woodham admits that a “five minute lapse” cost Windsor in their exit from the Combined Counties Premier Challenge Cup this season.

Windsor were beaten 2-0 away at Epsom & Ewell in the last four, which is bitterly disappointing with news that the final will be played at Stag Meadow.

Woodham insists that Windsor did not under-perform in the semi-final but he acknowledges they did not do enough to win on Tuesday night.

The Windsor manager told the Observer: “Obviously it wasn’t the result we wanted so we were disappointed on the night but we didn’t play too bad. We certainly finished the game on the front foot.

“There was a spell five minutes before half-time where we conceded two goals. They were poor goals really and left us with a lot to do.

“We went about our work well in the second-half in terms of our intensity and aggression. We certainly pressed them but could not take the two or three chances that came our way.

“Epsom & Ewell are a good side but over the 90 minutes we probably didn’t do enough. We certainly did not score anyway.

“We conceded twice just before half-time which put us on the back foot against a well-drilled, organised and hard-working side.

Royal Borough Observer:

PHOTO: Windsor (green) players Emmanoyil Goganos, centre, and Bradley Pearce, right, challenge for the ball at Westfield.

“We were in it for 40 minutes but a five minute lapse left us with a mountain to climb really.

“Home or away our preparation was good and we arrived in good time, but there certainly would have been a few more there had we been at home.

Matt Ferdinando and Jordan Gallagher were on target for the home side in the first half, and they can now look forward to a final with Westfield on Friday, May 5.

Commenting on the final, which will be played at Windsor’s home ground, Woodham said: “Epsom & Ewell always fancy themselves so will again in the final, but I could not care less.

“I think Westfield will have to play a little better than they did on Saturday but I will let them fight it out themselves.”

Windsor suffered a first away league defeat in three matches when losing 2-1 at Westfield on Saturday.

Windsor took the lead at Woking Park through Barry Dunbar after 24 minutes and still lead at the half-time interval.

Ryan Marklew levelled the scores on 73 minutes and Max Blackmore secured all three points for Westfield three minutes from the final whistle.

Royal Borough Observer:

PHOTO: Windsor keeper Hugo Sobte (pink) catches a ball in the defeat at Westfield.

Woodham said: “I was very pleased with our performance. The conditions played into our hands with the squad we had, the younger players, and changes in personnel in certain positions.

“We stuck to the gameplan to be fair. We found ourselves in front for a while and the big positive was how well disciplined we were.

“I was pleased for the players, disappointed that we did not get anything, but our attitude was right.”

Windsor welcome AFC Hayes to Stag Meadow this Saturday (3pm).