'Disappointment' as Bishop Centre development is given the go-ahead
by Hannah Shroot • Published 31 Aug 2012 13:00 1 Comment
A DISAPPOINTED resident has accused the government of 'hypocrisy' after a controversial shopping centre development was given the go-ahead.
Plans for a £20m development at the Bishop Centre in Bath Road, Taplow, were approved by South Bucks District Council in March, but were referred to the Secretary of State, Eric Pickles, in June, following objections from residents, local businesses and parish councillors.
The Royal Borough also asked the Government to reconsider the application, amid concerns it would draw business away from Maidenhead.
But on August 14, a letter from the Department for Communities and Local Government to South Bucks District Council (SBDC) said Mr Pickles believed there was not 'sufficient reason' to call a planning inquiry.
Thierry Bourret, a Burnham businessman and resident whose campaign group Say No To Tesco In Taplow fought against the development, said: "I am very disappointed. It's just another example of how the Government say one thing then do another.
"The whole thing goes against the Government trying to encourage local businesses to grow. They have been very hypocritical on this one."
Steve Harbour, owner of Baby Debut in the Bishop Centre, said he will probably relocate to a new site in Maidenhead in October. He added: "At the moment the centre a small, friendly, little shopping village, but soon it will just be the same as every other shopping centre."
The plans, which include a 55,000 sq ft Tesco supermarket and up to 12 smaller shops, were submitted by site owners Land Securities last year.
This article appeared in Royal Borough Observer 31 Aug 12
Have your say. Post a comment on this article.
Sep 4, 03:26
Not a very friendly place to be honest.
All the small shop owners think they are in either Kensington or Knightsbridge, their stock is actually best suited to Peckham and Dalston.
Recommend? Yes 3 No 2