Firefighters rescued two dogs from a burning house in the heart of Windsor this morning.

Fire pumps were used to control the blaze which started at a house in Chaucer Close, Windsor at about 10.30am.

One of the terrier dogs escaped the blaze through the front door as firefighters forced their way in, while a second was found hiding behind the washing machine.

The occupants were on holiday and the dogs were being looked after by a neighbour.

Firefighters were there till 1pm. Serious damage was caused to the ground floor of the three storey house with smoke damage caused to the rest of the property.

The cause of blaze is not understood to have been suspicious.